It takes me a good amount of time to compose a thoughtful and detailed letter of recommendation on your behalf, whether it's for an REU, a summer internship, or graduate school. Because the letters are important for your future, I take the process seriously. For these reasons, I ask you to please follow the guidelines below when asking me to write you a letter.
1. Please provide me with as much information as possible, including a copy of your resume and your application essays. Your goals and plans for the future, as well as your motivations for applying to specific programs, should be evident in these materials.
2. Please provide me with information about the programs to which you are applying. The more I know about the programs, the better I am able to address the fit between your strengths and the strengths of the faculty in your selected programs.
3. Please e-mail me all of your recommendation deadlines and send me a reminder a week before they are due.
4. I recommend that you waive your rights to inspect the letter of recommendation after I have written it. Programs will respect the content of my letter if they know it was written in confidence.
5. Please give me as much time as possible to complete your letters. At least two weeks notice is required, but one month is preferrable.